Welcome to the Horace Greeley Scholarship Fund (“HGSF,” “us” or “we”) Web site located at www.hgsf.org (“Site”). This Privacy Statement addresses HGSF’s practices regarding information collected from users of the Site and only addresses information collected directly through or from the Site – it does not address or govern any information gathering, use, or dissemination practices related to information collected from the user (referred to as “you” or “your”) other than directly through or from the Site, such as from telephone, facsimile, postal mail, personal delivery, or other or additional offline means or media. HGSF can be contacted at [email protected]. This Privacy Statement is incorporated into HGSF’s Terms and Conditions by reference, as if set forth fully therein, which must be reviewed and accepted by you.
1. Collection of Personal Information from Site Users. Except as specifically set forth herein, HGSF may collect or track (a) the home server domain names, date and time of your visit, type of computer, the originating IP address, files downloaded, search engine used, operating system, and type of Web browser for users of the Site; (b) the e-mail addresses of users that communicate with HGSF via e-mail; (c) information knowingly provided by the user in online forms, applications, donation forms, text message alerts, registration or membership forms, contest entries, surveys, e-mail, and other online avenues (including, without limitation, demographic and personal profile data); and (d) aggregate and user-specific information regarding which pages a user accesses. Specifically, and in order to apply for a grant on the Site and become a Site Applicant (as defined in the Terms) and/or to access certain features of the Site, you may be required to provide additional personal information about you and/or your company such as your name, email address and other relevant personal information in order to apply for a grant online and/or give donations. If you do not wish to provide such information to the Site, you may be unable to use certain features of the Site, apply for a grant on the Site, or donate on the Site.
HGSF may place Internet “cookies” on your hard drive. Internet cookies are small amounts of data that contain a unique identifier that many web sites frequently send to your web browser to be stored on your computer’s hard drive in order to save data about you, such as your name, password, user-name, screen preferences, and the pages of a site you have viewed. When you revisit the Site, HGSF may recognize you by your Internet cookies and customize your experience accordingly. You may decline Internet cookies by using the appropriate feature of your Web browser software, if available.
HGSF may also use Web bugs to gather, store, and track certain information related to your visit to and activity on the Site. A Web “bug” is a file object, which can be a graphic image such as a transparent one pixel-by-one pixel graphics file, which is placed on a Web page or in an e-mail message to monitor user activity. A Web bug can gather, for example, the IP address of your computer, the time the Web page was viewed, and the type of browser used. When a user performs a search within the Site, HGSF may record information identifying the user or linking the user or to the search performed and recording information related to the search request.
HGSF may use Google Analytics or a similar service to gather, store, and track certain information related to your visit to and activity on the Site. When a user performs a search within the Site, HGSF may record information identifying the user or linking the user to the search performed and recording information related to the search request.
2. Use of Personal Information Collected. Personal information collected by HGSF may be used by HGSF for many reasons, for example, for recordkeeping, editorial and feedback purposes, marketing and promotional purposes, receipt of HGSF’s newsletters, requests for donations, statistical analysis of users’ behavior, product development, content improvement, or to customize the content and layout of the Site. Aggregate data on users’ home servers may be used for internal purposes, and individually identifying information, such as names, postal and e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and other personal information which users voluntarily provide to HGSF may be added to HGSF’s databases and used for future calls and mailings regarding Site updates, new products and services, and upcoming events.
From time to time, we may need to contact you for patron-related activities. You agree that we may use your personal information for such patron-related contacts with you. We may also desire to contact you for market research purposes or to provide you with marketing information we think would be of particular interest. You will have the option of not being contacted by HGSF and opting-out of such contacts by setting the appropriate option in your profile or unsubscribing to such correspondence by contacting us at [email protected].
Without limiting the foregoing, HGSF has the right, but not the obligation, to monitor any and all communications posted to the Site, including through Site Applicant features and other general areas of the Site. Such voluntary information posted by you may be collected and used by HGSF in accordance with this Privacy Statement.
3. Disclosure of Personal Information to Third Parties. Except as provided herein, individually identifying personal information provided through the Site will not be sold, bartered, given or otherwise disclosed to third parties not affiliated with HGSF, including to any advertisers or another organization or individual. Only our Grants Committee will even have access to your information, including your name. Our Grants Committee thoroughly reviews each applicant’s financial need and provides a grant based on the individual need. The Grants Committee is composed of three to five Board Directors of the Fund, and other third-parties such as a HGHS vice-principal, a guidance counselor, a professional college financial aid expert and a Chappaqua Board of Education representative. All members of the HGSF Board of Directors are local residents and/or HGHS alumni who are provided such identifying information to process grant applications.
Personal information provided through the Site may be used and disclosed to other entities and/or business partners in the operation of the Site, as specified above, in order to process applications and donations, to provide products or services requested and for marketing and promotional purposes. Without limiting the foregoing, financial information may be maintained and housed by HGSF itself and/or by its third party payment processing center, PayPal, for the purpose of processing payments and conducting related transactions. Aggregate data on users’ home servers and individually identifying information, such as names, postal and e-mail addresses and phone numbers, may be provided to third parties such as marketing firms. Identifiable and non-identifiable user information and data may be disclosed or distributed to another party with which HGSF enters or reasonably may enter into a corporate transaction, such as, for example, a merger, consolidation, acquisition, or asset purchase, or to a third party pursuant to a subpoena, court order, or other form of legal process, in response to a request by or on behalf of any local, state, federal, or other government agency, department, or body, whether or not pursuant to a subpoena, court order, or other form of legal process, or if determined by HGSF in its sole judgment that such disclosure or distribution is appropriate to protect the life, health, or property of HGSF or any other person or entity.
While HGSF may undertake efforts to see that any third party to which HGSF shares, rents, sells, or otherwise discloses personal information is under a contractual obligation to use the personal information solely for the purposes for which the information was disclosed, such third parties are independent third parties over which HGSF exercises no control. HGSF is not responsible for, and will not be liable for, the conduct, actions, omissions, or information handling or dissemination practices of third parties.
4. Security Measures and Communicating with HGSF. HGSF has implemented physical, electronic and procedural security features that are designed to prevent the unauthorized release of or access to personal information. Despite HGSF’s efforts to protect your personal information, the confidentiality of any communication or material transmitted to or from HGSF via this Site or via e-mail cannot be and is not guaranteed. Any personal information contained in an online application is transferred to our server securely using a secure (SSL) internet connection. All information is encrypted and stored encrypted in our database. We will hold on to the encrypted version of your application for a period of seven (7) years as per our internal document retention policy. Any supplemental information provided to us electronically as part of the application process, such as tax returns, financial aid forms, etc., will be encrypted prior to being stored by a third party online vendor, who does not have access to the encryption key, thus, they can not see the contents of your documents. The supplemental information will be held for a period of seven (7) years as per our internal document retention policy. You acknowledge that the technical processing and transmission of the Site content may be transferred unencrypted and involve (a) transmissions over various networks and (b) changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices. Accordingly, HGSF is not responsible for the security of information transmitted via the Internet. Instead of communicating with HGSF via e-mail or the Internet, users can contact HGSF by regular mail at P.O. Box 242, Chappaqua, NY 10514.
6. Opt-Out Right. Except as necessary to complete an application, make a donation or obtain the products, services, or information requested, you may opt out of having your personal information, which has been voluntarily provided to HGSF through online forms, membership or registration forms and profiles, contest entries, surveys, e-mail, or other online avenues, prospectively retained by HGSF, used by HGSF for secondary purposes, or disclosed by HGSF to third parties, by contacting HGSF via postal mail, e-mail, or telephone at the addresses set out above. This provision does not apply to the collection of the type of Web browser of the user to the Site or to information provided or collected that does not meet the description in this Section 6.
8. Privacy of Children. The Site is not intended for children under the age of 13. It does not knowingly collect personal information online from users in this age group. If you do not agree to these Terms, or you are under the age of 13, you are not granted permission to use this Site and must exit immediately. If you are under 18 years of age, you and your parent or legal guardian must review this Privacy Statement, as well as the Site’s Terms and Conditions, together to make sure that each understands and agrees to them.
9. Access to and Ability to Correct Personal Information. Upon your request via postal mail, e-mail, or telephone, HGSF will provide you with a summary of any personal information retained by HGSF that has been voluntarily provided by you to HGSF through online forms, registration forms, contest entries, surveys, e-mail, or another online avenue. You may modify, correct, change or update your personal information by contacting HGSF via postal mail, e-mail, or telephone at the addresses or numbers above.
10. Right to Change Privacy Statement. HGSF may change this Privacy Statement at any time. Notice of any new or revised Privacy Statement, as well as the location of the new or revised statement, will be posted on the Site for at least twenty (20) days after the change. It is the obligation of users returning to the Site to learn of changes to the Privacy Statement since their last visit. Any change to this Privacy Statement shall be effective as to any user who has visited the Site before the change was made.
11. Your California Privacy Rights. If you are a California resident, California Civil Code Section 1798.83 provides you with the right to request certain information regarding disclosure of your personal information to third parties for direct marketing purposes, including a description of the categories of personal information disclosed. In order to obtain such information, please email your request to [email protected] or write us at the address above.
Dated: January 12, 2012
© 2012 Horace Greeley Scholarship Fund; All rights reserved.