TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Welcome to the Horace Greeley Scholarship Fund (“HGSF”) web site located at www.hgsf.org (“Site”). The following terms and conditions (“Terms”) govern your use of this Site. By accessing, viewing, or using the content, material, or any services available on or through this Site, you indicate that you have read and understand these Terms, that you agree to them and intend to be legally bound by them. If you do not agree to these Terms you are not granted permission to use this Site and must exit immediately. The Site must not be used by children under 13 years of age. If you do not agree to these Terms, or you are under the age of 13, you are not granted permission to use this Site and must exit immediately. If you are under 18 years of age, you and your parent or legal guardian must review these Terms, as well as the Site’s Privacy Statement, together to make sure that each understands and agrees to them.
1. Application. As part of the online application process, you will obtain a unique password (“Student ID Code”) to your application (“Site Applicant”). You may be required to provide HGSF with certain information about yourself including some types of personally identifying information such as your email and your phone number. You are fully responsible for your account, including use of the account by any third party and maintaining the confidentiality of your Student ID Code. You may terminate your Student ID Code at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Proprietary Rights. As between any user and HGSF, HGSF owns or licenses all data, content, audio clips, video clips, artwork, images, photographs, graphics, functional components, software and software concepts, files, documentation and other material on, in or made available through the Site (“Site Material”), as well as the selection, coordination, arrangement, and organization and enhancement of the Site Material. All Site Material is protected pursuant to United States copyright, trademark, patent and other applicable laws. You agree not to remove or alter any copyright notice or any other proprietary notice on any Site Materials. As between any user and HGSF, all names, trademarks, service marks, certification marks, symbols, slogans or logos appearing on the Site are proprietary to HGSF or its affiliates, licensors, suppliers or clients. Use or misuse of these trademarks is expressly prohibited and may violate federal and state trademark law. Under no circumstances will you have any rights of any kind in or to the Site, other than the right to use the Site in accordance with these Terms.
3. Unauthorized Activities. You agree not to modify, distribute, copy, exchange, disseminate, archive, reproduce, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, broadcast, retransmit, publish by hard copy or electronic means, adapt, edit, compile or create derivative works of the Site Material or otherwise use the Site Material in any way for any purpose without prior written approval from HGSF, unless explicitly marked as downloadable or printable. You agree that you will not use the Site for (a) any illegal or unauthorized purposes that violate any laws (including import, export and copyright laws); (b) modifying, adapting or hacking into the Site or for modifying another website so as to falsely imply that it is associated with HGSF; (c) uploading, posting, hosting, or transmitting worms or viruses or any code of a destructive nature; (d) contacting any other user of the Site who has requested not to be contacted; or (e) attempting to gain unauthorized access to HGSF’s computer system or engaging in any activity that interferes with the performance of, or impairs the functionality of the Site or any services provided through the Site. You acknowledge and agree that the unauthorized use of the Site Material could cause irreparable harm to HGSF and that in the event of such unauthorized use, HGSF shall be entitled to an injunction in addition to any other remedies available at law or in equity.
4. Materials Submitted to the Site. We welcome comments about our Site, and the Site may allow you to contribute content, information, text, files, graphics, messages, and other materials and information for access, use, and commentary by other users to the Site (“User Content”). Upon your submission of User Content or other material or information to HGSF, you grant HGSF a worldwide, perpetual, non-terminable, irrevocable, transferable, license to access, use, distribute, perform, reproduce, display, modify, create derivative works based upon, and sublicense, and to permit others to access, use, distribute, perform, reproduce, display, modify and create derivative works based upon the User Content, all without any compensation to you whatsoever. HGSF does not accept unsolicited ideas about new product, advertising, marketing or packaging ideas, concepts or improvements (“Ideas”). If you provide HGSF with any Ideas, such Ideas shall be considered non-proprietary and non-confidential, and shall become the exclusive property of HGSF, which may or may not use the Ideas for any purpose. The marketing staff of HGSF and its consultants may very well be considering an identical or similar Idea. The purpose of this policy is to avoid confusion about the ownership of new concepts and ideas. By sending or posting User Content, you represent that you have the full legal right to provide the User Content and that use of the User Content by HGSF, the Site and all other persons and entities will not (a) infringe any intellectual property rights of any person or entity or any rights of publicity, personality, or privacy of any person or entity, including as a result of your failure to obtain consent to post personally identifying or otherwise private information about a person; (b) violate any law, statute, ordinance, or regulation; (c) be defamatory, libelous or trade libelous, unlawfully threatening, or unlawfully harassing; (d) impersonate any person or entity or falsely state or otherwise imply an affiliate with a person or entity that is generally false, deceptive, misleading, deceitful, misinformative or constitutes a “bait and switch”; (e) be obscene, child pornographic, or indecent; (f) violate any community or Internet standard; (g) contain any viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancelbots, or other computer programming routines that damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept, or expropriate any system, data or personal information, or that facilitate or enable such or that are intended to do any of the foregoing; (h) constitute misappropriation of any trade secret or know-how; or (i) constitute disclosure of any confidential information owned by any third party.
5. Donations, Refunds and Cancellations. The Site may allow you to make a donation or a purchase, including the purchase of a gift card. By making a donation or a purchase, you represent that you are: (i) eighteen (18) years of age or older; (ii) have acted with permission from your parent or guardian; or (iii) have your parent or guardian make the donation for you. You are responsible for all charges incurred under your account, whether made by you or another person using your account. In order to make a purchase or a donation, your transaction will be processed by our third party payment processors, PayPal. All donations and purchases are subject to PayPal’s User Agreement and any applicable PayPal fees, and HGSF will not be responsible for any such transactions. You are responsible for paying any governmental taxes imposed in connection with use of the Site, including sales, use or excise taxes. Donations and purchases through the Site are refundable at the discretion of HGSF within fourteen (14) days of such donation or purchase. To request a refund, contact HGSF at the contact information provided herein. HGSF may cancel the Site at any time, with or without notice. HGSF is a recognized 501(c)(3) tax-exempt non-profit organization under the Internal Revenue Code. All donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent that United States laws permit.
6. Third Party Web Sites and Content. The Site is available for informational purposes only. Parties other than HGSF may provide products, services or content on the Site. Additionally, the Site may contain links to other Internet Web sites for the convenience of users in locating information, products, or services that may be of interest, including those of third party payment processors such as PayPal. Use of the Site and the Site Materials and any other material or content on and made available through the Site is entirely at your own risk. HGSF does not recommend or endorse, and expressly disclaims any responsibility for the content, the accuracy of the information, or quality of products or services provided by or advertised on third party sites or the transactions you conduct or enter into with third parties. Your use of third parties’ websites is at your own risk, and subject to the terms and conditions of such other websites. HGSF does not endorse any product, service, or treatment provided on a third party website or advertised on the Site. HGSF has no obligation to link from the Site to any other Web site or to provide any reciprocal service of any kind.
7. Privacy Statement. Any personal information that you provide to HGSF on the Site is subject to our Privacy Statement. For more information, click here to view the Privacy Statement, which is incorporated into these Terms by reference, as if set forth fully herein. Please be advised that the confidentiality of any communication or material transmitted to HGSF via the Site or Internet electronic mail cannot be guaranteed, including, for example, personal information such as your address or name. Alternatively, you may contact HGSF by regular mail at P.O. Box 242, Chappaqua, NY 10514.
8. Disclaimer. HGSF and its Site Applicants and its and their affiliates are not responsible for and do not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any Site Material, User Content, products, software, services, links, advertisements or other items contained within the Site. HGSF reserves the right to immediately remove any Site Material or User Content for any reason or for no reason. HGSF cannot and does not review all communications or products made available on or through the Site, but, although not obligated to, may review, verify, make changes to or remove any Site Material, User Content, the Site or the products or services made available in connection with the Site, including information posted to any Site features at any time, with or without notice in its sole discretion. You agree that you must evaluate and bear all risks associated with the use of Site, Site Material, User Content and that you may not rely on such Site Material or any User Content.
THE SITE, THE SITE MATERIALS, USER CONTENT, SERVICES, PRODUCTS, INFORMATION AND OTHER MATERIALS ON, IN AND MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE ARE MADE AVAILABLE “AS IS” AND “WITH ALL FAULTS.” USE OF THE SITE IS ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK. HGSF, ITS LICENSORS AND DISTRIBUTORS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, AND DISCLAIM ALL REPRESENTATIONS AND WARRANTIES, WITH RESPECT TO THE SITE, THE SITE MATERIALS, USER CONTENT, THE SERVICES, PRODUCTS, INFORMATION AND OTHER MATERIALS ON, IN AND MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WRITTEN OR ORAL, ARISING FROM COURSE OF DEALING, COURSE OF PERFORMANCE, USAGE OF TRADE, OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ACCURACY, SYSTEMS INTEGRATION, NON-INTERFERENCE, QUALITY, TITLE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO SATISFACTORY QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS AND EFFORT WITH REGARD TO ANY AND ALL SITE MATERIALS, THE SITE, AND THE SERVICES, PRODUCTS, INFORMATION AND OTHER MATERIALS ON, IN AND MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE, IS WITH YOU.
9. LIABILITY. HGSF AND ITS AFFILIATES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, EXEMPLARY, EXTRA-CONTRACTUAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING LOST REVENUES OR LOST PROFITS, WHICH MAY OR DOES RESULT FROM THE USE OF, ACCESS TO, OR INABILITY TO USE THE SITE, THE SITE MATERIALS, USER CONTENT, THE SERVICES, PRODUCTS, INFORMATION AND OTHER MATERIALS ON, IN AND MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE, REGARDLESS OF LEGAL THEORY, WHETHER OR NOT YOU OR HGSF HAD BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OR PROBABILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, AND EVEN IF THE REMEDIES OTHERWISE AVAILABLE FAIL OF THEIR ESSENTIAL PURPOSE. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF HGSF AND ITS LICENSORS, AND AFFILIATES TO YOU OR ANY OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY IN CONNECTION WITH, BASED UPON, OR ARISING FROM THE SITE, THE SITE MATERIALS AND USER CONTENT, ON, IN AND MADE AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SITE, OR THE SERVICES, PRODUCTS, SOFTWARE, INFORMATION OR OTHER MATERIALS OFFERED IN CONNECTION THEREWITH EXCEED THE PRICE PAID BY YOU DURING THE PRECEDING YEAR FOR USE OF THE SITE. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IF ANY PART OF THIS LIMITATION ON LIABILITY IS FOUND TO BE INVALID OR UNENFORCEABLE FOR ANY REASON, THEN THE TOTAL LIABILITY OF HGSF AND ITS LICENSORS AND AFFILIATES SHALL NOT EXCEED TEN DOLLARS ($10). If you are dissatisfied with the Site, or with any of these Terms, or feel HGSF has breached these Terms, your sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue using the Site.
10. Indemnification. You shall indemnify HGSF and its affiliates, and their respective directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, licensors and clients (“HGSF Indemnitees”) against all claims, actions, suits, and other proceedings (“Claims”) arising out of or incurred in connection with the Site, your fraud, violation of law, negligence, willful misconduct, or any other use of the Site, the Site Materials, User Content, the services, products (except to the extent contained in any published warranties applicable to the specific product provided by HGSF separate and apart from the Site), information and other materials on, in and made available through the Site, or any breach by you of these Terms and shall indemnify and hold HGSF Indemnitees harmless from and against all judgments, losses, liabilities, damages, costs, and expenses (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and attorneys’ disbursements) arising out of or incurred in connection with such Claims. You may not settle any Claim without the prior written consent of HGSF. HGSF or its licensors may assume the defense of any Claim, at your sole cost and expense, and you shall cooperate in all reasonable respects in such defense. You shall have the right to employ separate counsel in any Claim and to participate in the defense thereof. If HGSF does not notify you that it elects to undertake the defense thereof, you shall have the right to defend the Claim with counsel reasonably acceptable to HGSF, subject to the right of HGSF to assume, at its sole cost and expense, the defense of any Claim at any time prior to the settlement or final determination thereof.
11. Internet Security. HGSF uses reasonable efforts to ensure that the Site is generally available. However, there will be occasions when access to the Site will be interrupted or unavailable. HGSF will use reasonable commercial efforts to minimize such disruption where it is within our reasonable control. You agree that we shall not be liable to you for any modification, suspension or discontinuance of the Site. You understand that the technical processing and transmission of any Site content may be transferred unencrypted and involve (a) transmissions over various networks and (b) changes to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks or devices. Please be advised that we do not guarantee that any information sent from our Site will be secure during transmission, nor can we guarantee the confidentiality of any communication or material transmitted to HGSF via the Site or the Internet, including, for example, personal information such as your name or address.
12. Complaint Procedures. If you believe that any content or postings on this Site violates your intellectual property or other rights, please send to HGSF at email@example.com a comprehensive detailed message setting forth the following information: (a) your name and the name of your company, if any; (b) your contact information, including your e-mail address; (c) the nature and substance of your complaint, the specific rights at issue, and your basis for making the complaint, including the content or posting that is objectionable; and (d) the following statement: “The statements, representations, and assertions made in this message are true, complete, and accurate and I have the full legal authority to make each and every such statement, representation, and assertion and to make and be granted any demand made in this message.”
13. Changes to these Terms; Termination. HGSF reserves the right at any time to modify, alter or update these Terms. Notice of any new or revised Terms, as well as the location of the new or revised statement, will be posted on the Site for at least twenty (20) days after the change. Your use of the Site following any changes means that you agree to follow and be bound by the terms as changed. Any change to these Terms shall be effective as to any visitor who has visited the Site before the change was made. It is the obligation of users visiting the Site before the change to learn of changes to the Terms since their last visit. HGSF may suspend or terminate your account and/or your ability to use the Site or any services on the Site for failure to comply with these Terms, for providing HGSF with untrue or inaccurate information about yourself, for infringement upon HGSF proprietary rights, or for any other reason whatsoever or for no reason.
14. Governing Law and Jurisdiction. These Terms represent the entire agreement between you and Dorman with respect to the subject matter hereof, and supersede any and all prior and contemporaneous written and oral representations, understandings, and agreements, express and implied, and will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of New York, without reference to its conflict of law rules; PROVIDED, HOWEVER, THAT THE TERMS OF ANY APPLICABLE LAW NOW OR HEREAFTER ENACTED THAT IS BASED ON, DERIVED FROM, SIMILAR TO, OR CONNECTED WITH THE UNIFORM COMPUTER INFORMATION TRANSACTIONS ACT DRAFTED BY THE NATIONAL CONFERENCE OF COMMISSIONERS ON UNIFORM STATE LAWS SHALL NOT APPLY EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT THAT THE LAW EXPRESSLY PROHIBITS ALTERATION BY THESE TERMS OF THE APPLICABILITY OF ONE OR MORE SECTIONS OF THE LAW. By accessing, viewing, or using the services, works, content, or materials on the Site, you consent and agree to (a) the exclusive jurisdiction of the federal and state courts located in Chappaqua, New York; (b) accept service of process by personal delivery or mail; and (c) irrevocably waive the right to trial by jury and any jurisdictional and venue defenses otherwise available.
15. Miscellaneous. The Site is controlled and operated from within the United States. Without limiting anything else, HGSF makes no representation that the Site, Site Materials, User Content, services, products, information or other materials available on, in, or through the Site is appropriate or available for use in other locations, and access to them from territories where they are illegal is prohibited. Those who choose to access the Site from other locations do so on their own volition and are responsible for compliance with applicable laws. The waiver or failure of HGSF to exercise in any respect any right provided hereunder shall not be deemed a waiver of such right in the future or a waiver of any of other rights established under these Terms. Headings used in these Terms are for reference only and shall not affect the interpretation of these Terms. No person or entity not party to this agreement will be deemed to be a third party beneficiary of these Terms or any provision hereof. When used herein, the words “includes” and “including” and their syntactical variations shall be deemed followed by the words “without limitation.”
Dated: January 12, 2012
© 2012 Horace Greeley Scholarship Fund; All rights reserved.